Magnesium is an extremely important mineral for every cell and organ in our body, especially the heart, muscles and kidneys.
A deficiency of magnesium is usually noticed in diets that are high in processed foods. The impact of heating and cooking foods reduces magnesium in real foods.
Other causes of magnesium deficiency:
- Lack of sleep.
- Excessive sweating.
- Fluoride containing drugs.
- Alcohol consumption can also affect levels of magnesium in the body.
Benefits of magnesium:
- Overall, Magnesium plays a vital role in cardiovascular health, in reducing the risk for hypertension, stroke, heart attack.
- Important for brain function and mood stabilization.
- When taken at optimal levels, Magnesium may reduce the potential risk of developing migraine headaches.
- Magnesium has a significant impact on type 2 diabetes.
Some symptoms of magnesium deficiency may be:
- Muscle spasms
- Resistance to insulin
- Heart arrhythmias
- Low energy
- High blood pressure
- Unexplained fatigue or muscle weakness
Real foods that are rich in magnesium:
Vegetables: Spinach, swiss chard, turnip greens, beet greens, broccoli, brussels sprouts, kale, bok choy, romaine lettuce.
Raw seeds: Pumpkin, sesame and sunflower have the most magnesium.
Raw nuts: Cashews, almonds and brazil nuts.
Fatty fish: Wild salmon and mackerel.
Fruits: Berries like raspberry & strawberry, papaya & tomato.
Committed to your health,
Dr. Naran, M.D
Rejuv Healthcare by: Dr. M Naran MD, CAFCI
Family Physician, Trigger Point Therapy, Laser Acupuncture, Weight Loss,
#206A-145 West 15th St, North Vancouver, BC, V7M 1R9, Canada
www.rejuvhealthcare.com, www.doctornaran.com, Phone: (604) 986-4214